In literary fiction, these elements are sometimes subtle; other times, they are very obvious.
In this assignment, you will explore The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (accessible through http://www.gutenberg.org ). Read the first eight paragraphs of Chapter 1 of the story. Then, use the provided template (attached) to create a PowerPoint presentation of 5-6 slides (include speaker notes) that addresses the following:
- Who are the two characters named in this passage? What can you tell about them based on their names alone? Does the author reveal any other details about these characters?
- Based on the details the author provides, what do you learn about the room described? Does this sound like a place you have ever visited? Why or why not?
- Notice the language. Do you think this story takes place in a modern time? Why or why not?
- Based on this passage, are you interested in reading more of this story? Why or why not?
- Who is telling the story? What is the point of view?