Read the two scenarios below, and write a two page paper in APA format, double spaced, in 12 point font and with a 1” margin for each scenario. Please make sure to properly cite all sources.
- Joe English, an engineer with National Construction, travels to WV Steel Company in West Virginia to buy steel cable made by WV Steel to help support the upper decks of a new football stadium National is building in Colorado. Jessica Smith, a contractor with WV Steel, looks at the plans for the stadium and sells the recommended cable to National. The stadium is built using the cable WV Steel selected. During a football game, the upper deck collapses due to the inability of the cable to support the weight load. National Construction now faces a lawsuit from thousands of plaintiffs injured or killed in the collapse. While on the trip to look at the plans, Jessica crashes her business car into a busload of children. The accident happened because Jessica ran a red light; she was late for her meeting with WV Steel and was rushing. Three children were hospitalized, and the bus driver was injured such that she can never drive a bus again.
Write a persuasive argument defending your position. Cover the following:
- Assuming the steel cable was not defective in either its design or manufacturing process, does National have a cause of action against WV Steel?
- Do the bus passengers have a cause of action against WV Steel? Jessica?
- What are the legal responsibilities and liabilities of the above parties?
- What would be the impact of this type of legal issue to small and large businesses?