The purpose of this project is for you to conduct research on the topic of emerging technologies that are supporting the nation’s homeland security mission areas of prevention, protection, response, and recovery. Your research should include the following:
- Government Web sites and press releases
- Archived interviews with HS and public safety officials (you are not expected to conduct interviews)
- Information provided via the Web sites of private-sector companies that develop, manufacture, and sell HS-focused technologies
- News articles
- Web sites of critical infrastructure facilities
- Any type of scholarly resource
Based upon the findings of your research, you are to craft a briefing memo of 1,000–1,250 words targeted to your jurisdiction’s chief elected official. The memo should address the key research questions below.
- The briefing memo of 1,000–1,250 words must address the following:
- What new technologies have emerged in the years since September 11, 2001? Explain.
- Of the critical infrastructure sectors identified by DHS, which ones have received the most focus since 9/11? Why?
- Currently, what are the primary focus areas (sectors and types of technologies) of research and development for new HS technologies? Explain.
- Have efforts in the past been focused on the left of boom side or the right of boom side of the incident spectrum? What is the focus now? Why?
- Have any events that have occurred after 9/11 served as catalysts for new areas of technological research and development or investment? Explain.
- Of the new technologies that have emerged, whether they are deployed or not, what successes have been realized? What failures have occurred? Explain in detail.
- From the perspective of how people move around in society, interact with each other, and access services, what impacts have any of the new technologies had on the lives of ordinary citizens? Explain.
- What impacts has advanced technology had on you personally? Explain.
- Compile your responses in your final briefing memo and submit the file to your instructor.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.