Primary Source 2- “Let the Capitalists Do Their Own Fighting” (p.286)
As World War I raged in Europe from 1914-17, Americans were divided both in favor and against the conflict. This division is summarized on pp. 285-286 in the textbook. After reading these pages in the text read “Let the Capitalists Do Their Own Fighting” by the Socialist leader Eugene V. Debs (p. 286) and write a 4- page essay that addresses the following questions:
- Clarify the two differing positions (pro & con) toward World War I.
- What were the central reasons that Socialists like Eugene V. Debs opposed the war?
- How did Debs explain the idea of national pride or patriotism in the context of the war?
- How did American non-intervention, then preparedness eventually lead to intervention by 1917?
- What impact did American intervention in World War I have on the Socialist movement in the U.S.?
- must include the outline, essay, thesis statement, and works cited. These mu