The purpose of this assignment is to examine the research literature in Health Psychology and how this is applied to chronic health issues.
Choose a chronic health issue individuals experience (e.g. diabetes, fibromyalgia, asthma, addiction) that is often seen by health psychologists.
Write a 1,250-1,500-word essay that addresses the following:
- a) What problems are often experienced by individuals and their families as a result of this illness (e.g. anxiety, depression, stigma, stress, non-adherence)?
- b) How can psychological theory be applied to describe the source of the problem and to treat the issue for the individual?
- i) You may choose the psychological theory/theories you wish to apply (e.g. stress theories, adherence theories, health promotion theories, and social norms theories, as long as they are discussed in the literature).
- c) What issues are discussed in the literature regarding this health issue? What research is currently being examined on the topic?
- d) How can health psychology/health psychologists aid individuals, families, and/or communities in coping with the illness.