Police officers work in communities, with not only individuals and specific groups of people, but also with larger organizations and institutions—macro communities. Police professionals must become familiar with these communities, know the issues and concerns to be addressed, and have skills to interact in a productive and efficient manner. Macro communities have their own rules, situational demands, and acceptable standards of responding. These communities also represent societal and cultural norms and messages. Macro communities can be public and private, and they have the power to influence or change those who participate or interact with them. Since macro communities consist of numerous micro communities, the police professional must understand their relevance and be able to maneuver through their norms and values to maintain safety and security. In this case, the job of the forensic psychology professional is to assist the police professional in understanding the norms and constraints of the macro communities while working within different systems that have their own goals and standards (i.e., micro communities). Regardless of the directive, forensic psychology professionals are tasked with providing insight to police professionals regarding their interactions with larger communities (macro communities), and helping them work toward a beneficial outcome for all involved parties.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review the document, “Not in My Neighborhood: An Essay on Policing Place,” and think about the value of forensic psychology professionals in assisting police professional interactions with macro communities.
- Review the article, “Prisoner Reentry and Community Policing: Strategies for Enhancing Public Safety.” Consider the value in forensic psychology professionals influencing police professional interactions with macro communities.
- Review the article, “Law Enforcement and the Public: The Role of Intergroup Accommodations.” Consider the value of forensic psychology professionals influencing communication and interaction between police professionals and macro communities.
- Consider the relevant roles and skills of forensic psychology professionals in relation to police professionals and macro-community interactions. Think about the value of forensic psychology professionals influencing interactions between police professionals and macro communities.
The assignment (2 pages):
- Analyze the value of forensic psychology professional influence on police professional interactions in macro communities. Be specific and include relevant roles and skills of the forensic psychology professional as they relate to and influence police professionals.
- Support your responses with references to the Learning Resources and the research literature.