Assignment 2: Job Analysis Theory and Techniques
The purpose of this assignment is to further your understanding of a variety of job analysis approaches and considerations, while allowing you to practice your research skills and your professional persuasive communication ability.
Click here to view the job description of a project manager.
Using Cheryl’s job at Carbon Corp as an example (see the job description above), initially propose and then defend the merit of the techniques and approaches that support your approach.
In this assignment, you will assume the position of an industrial organization (I/O) professional submitting a proposal to Carbon Corp, which is soliciting bids for a job analysis of the project manager position. You do not need to create a full proposal. Your response should focus only on the part of the proposal that discusses the specific job analysis approach you endorse.
You will propose and defend the use of the job analysis technique(s) that you believe is most appropriate for this job analysis project. Ensure you support your position with relevant research. Focus on persuading Carbon Corp that your suggested approach is the best one for this particular job.
After your initial post, read and contemplate the merits of, as well as any concerns you may have with, the suggestions of your classmates regarding the theories and techniques used to generate information, factors affecting performance, and attributes of a person suited for the job.
In your follow-up posts, you are encouraged to discuss the pros and cons of other students’ approaches to the job analysis.
- By Saturday, October 3, 2015, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through Wednesday, October 7, 2015, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. Use the following questions to frame your initial response:
- What techniques can be used to generate information for a job analysis in this case? Identify the most suitable approach to this job analysis, including specific measures, on the basis of your understanding and application of theory and research.
- What are the physical, social, and psychological factors that affect performance? Why?
- What attributes would a person need to perform the tasks for the job? Why?
- Highlight an experience or insight gained from reading the classmate’s response.