Essay Environmental Politics GV591 2015/6.
These titles apply both to full-year and Autumn-term only students.
Due date Tuesday week 7.
You pick one of these titles. Exceptionally your class teacher may give you permission to write to a title reflecting your research interests, but unless this is cleared first your mark will be zero. Such titles must relate to the main themes covered this term.
1) Can we talk of a coherent green ideology different from other major post-Enlightenment ideologies?
2) What changes does the Limits to Growth model suggest are needed to avoid overshoot and collapse? Pick one of these changes and discuss how it might be brought about in a society that interests you.
3) Does the concept of the resilience of socio-ecological systems solve any conceptual problems with the idea of sustainability?
3) Do affluence and social stability matter for individual attitudes towards and behaviour in relation to the environment?
4) Discuss the circumstances under which the logic of collective action implies that individuals will not cooperate to overcome environmental problem. What does the theory suggest about changing such behaviour?
5) Is it inevitable that all parts of the green movement eventually become moderate protest businesses?