ideas and lifestyles.
After watching Art and Copy, and reading chapters 2 and 3 in Grazian, develop an answer to one of the following questions. Make sure that you address both the reading and the film in your answer; the idea is to connect the theory you read with the documentary–the social practice–you see). Please try to answer different questions so that all questions get covered and we have an exciting dialog with lots of ideas to discuss. After answering your question please engage in a dialog with at least two other students around their posted answers. (Do not repeat what someone else says — your post must be unique. If you are posting later in the discussion you are responsible for making sure you are not repeating what someone has already said).
- How does contemporary popular culture and advertising help us reflect on the human condition, please address this question from both the Structural Functionalist and the Conflict Theory perspectives?
- Explain the concept of cultural hegemony and show how advertising and other forms of popular culture help create a cultural hegemony either in the U.S. or abroad.
- Provide an example of a cultural object that seems to be saturated with meaning and one that seem to be meaningless. How could both be part of the same culture?
After reading the chapters in The Culture Code choose one of the discussion prompts on which to write.
- Describe and discuss how social contexts affect Cultural Unconscious and its five guiding principles for Love, Seduction, and Sex. (provide your own example not one from the reading).
- Describe and discuss how social factors shape the Codes for Beauty and Fat in American society (provide your own example not one from the reading).
- Explain how being part of an interpretive community facilitates the development of culture codes (provide your own example not one from the reading)?