. Compare the historical processes of empire building in the Spanish maritime empire during the period from 1500s (16th century) through 1700s (18th century) with the historical processes of empire building of either the land-based Ottoman Empire OR maritime Dutch empire.
2. Read Cortes’ accounts of the Spaniards’ initial encounter with the Aztecs. What did Spanish he think was most interesting about the Aztecs? Why does Cortes place such an emphasis on religious customs? How does this excerpt demonstrate deterriolization by the Spanish empire?
3. Analyze the social and economic transformations that occurred in the Atlantic world as a result of new contacts (people, food, disease, etc.) among Western Europe, Africa, and the Americas from 1500s (16th century) through 1700s (18th century).
4. Choose two of the following religions, Christianity, Buddhism, or Islam, and answer the following questions: Why was this religion revitalized in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries? In which parts of the world did each of these faiths expand most vigorously?
5. Compare the effects of Enlightenment ideologies on North American societies with those on European societies during the period.
6. Imperialism is a violent enterprise. Compare and contrast at least two empires and the way in which they used violence to establish or maintain their overseas colonies.