In addition to your textbook, review the following articles and videos about Google’s work culture in preparation for this assignment:
- “How the Googleplex Works” by Jonathan Strickland, located at http://computer.howstuffworks.com/googleplex2.htm
- “Google Employees Reveal Their Favorite Perks Working For The Company” by Kevin Smith, located at http://www.businessinsider.com/google-employee-favorite-perks-2013-3?op=1
- “At Google, Hours Are Long, But the Consomme Is Free” by Sara Kehaulani Goo, located at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/23/AR2007012300334.html
- “Google interns’ first week” (5 min 50 s). Video Source: Google. (2013, June 4). Google interns’ first week [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9No-FiEInLA
- “Google Great Place to Work Entry” (2 min 46 s). Video Source: IABAustralia. (2008, April 30). Google Great Place to Work Entry [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2nfZPsd794
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Briefly describe Google, its mission, and its business model.
- Analyze the types of people that work at Google, with respect to the business culture of the organization. Indicate one to two (1-2) qualities that define a leader at Google, and determine the typical background of a Google employee.
- Identify two (2) examples of services or amenities that Google provides to its employees, interns, partners, and visitors. Next, examine two to three (2-3) ways in which such free services and amenities create an organizational culture that fosters creativity and innovation. Note: In the context of business, “creativity” means having the ability to conceive something new and original, including ideas, imagination, and things that are outside of the box. “Innovation” is the implementation and execution of something new, including products, technology, services, and business models.
- Discuss Google’s organizational culture, and determine whether or not you would prefer to work in this type of environment. Indicate whether or not Google’s company culture would help you to perform your tasks with a greater degree of creativity and innovation. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as academic resources.