- Review “Asthma” in Chapter 26 of the Huether and McCance text. Identify the physiological mechanisms of chronic asthma and acute asthma exacerbation. Consider how these disorders are similar and different.
- Select a patient factor different from the one you selected in this week’s Discussion: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior. Think about how the factor you selected might impact the pathophysiology of both disorders. Reflect on how you would diagnose and prescribe treatment of these disorders for a patient based on the factor you selected.
- Review the “Mind maps—Dementia, Endocarditis, and Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)” media in the Week 2 Learning Resources. Use the examples in the media as a guide to construct two mind maps—one for chronic asthma and one for acute asthma exacerbation. Consider the epidemiology and clinical presentation of both chronic asthma and acute asthma exacerbation.To complete:
Write 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Describe the pathological mechanisms of chronic asthma and acute asthma exacerbation. Be sure to explain the changes in the arterial blood gas patterns during an exacerbation.
- Explain how the factor you selected might impact the physiology of both disorders. Describe how you would diagnose and prescribe treatment for a patient based on the factor you selected.
- Construct two mind maps—one for chronic asthma and one for acute asthma exacerbation. Include the epidemiology, psychopathology, and clinical presentation, as well as the diagnosis and treatment you explained in your paper